Genealogists.com Community Code of Conduct
We believe that supporting the professional genealogists of the world represents our greatest opportunity to further connect humanity through family history. We value the contributions of each member of the Genealogists.com community and want all to have an experience that benefits them both personally and professionally.
To ensure that all who participate in the Genealogists.com Community have a quality experience, all must adhere to our Terms of Service and the following Code of Conduct.
Our Community Standards
In the interest of fostering an open and welcoming environment, Genealogists.com is committed to providing a positive, supportive environment for everyone, regardless of age, body size, ability, gender identity, level of experience, nationality, personal appearance, race, religion or sexual orientation.
It is the responsibility of all users, including those that participate in discussions or utilize the available tools, to conform to our community standards, which includes, but it is not limited to - reading and understanding the Code of Conduct, as well as the Terms of Service, contacting Genealogists.com if anything is unclear and reporting any activity which violates our code of conduct.
Examples of Acceptable Behaviors:
- Be Respectful - mutual respect is key to a healthy community environment
- Be Professional - we are here to grow our skillsets and businesses and to interact with like-minded individuals
- Be Accepting - this is a No Judgement Zone and there are no bad ideas here
- Be Open - we all have different experiences and viewpoints
- Be Secure - constructive feedback helps us grow
- Be Gracious - a favor acknowledged, a favor returned; be aware of others
- Be Positive - improve the discussion
- Be Honest - act with integrity and truthfulness; if we delude others, we are deluding ourselves
- Be Upfront - truthful representation of yourself, including your experience, education and skills in your online profile
Examples of Unacceptable Behaviors:
- Threats - think carefully about the words use; you may not threaten of violence of any nature towards others
- Discrimination - no speech which attacks a person or a group of people based on who they are; this includes age, body size, ability, ethnicity, gender identity, level of experience, nationality, personal appearance, race, religion, or sexual orientation.
- Bullying - bullying or harassment will not be tolerated, this includes any habitual or targeted intimidation towards a specific person or group. In general, if your actions are unwanted, stop.
- Profanity - no swearing or taboo speech
- Sexually Language and Imagery - nothing of a pornographic nature is allowed, including nude images, posts/commentary about sexual experiences and the like. If you have questions or concerns about something you want to post, please reach out and ask beforehand by emailing email@example.com.
- Unwelcome Sexual Attention or Advances - No asking for, offering of or threatening of sexual favors or actions.
- Spam or Promotional Material - no advertising; any content deemed to be spam by the administrative team of Genealogists.com will be removed
- Copyrighted - if you post something that you did not create yourself, you must have the right to post it.
- Respect the privacy of others, including fellow members and clients, by not sharing any identifying information without express written permission to do so.
- Any other conduct which could reasonably be considered inappropriate in a professional environment
The administrators of Genealogists.com have access to all posts, direct messages, events and the like. If a concern is raised, we reserve the right to review and remove any deemed to violate our Code of Conduct or Terms and Conditions.
Disciplinary actions / Enforcement:
Community members asked to stop any inappropriate behavior are expected to comply immediately. If a participant engages in behavior that violates the Code of Conduct, a Genealogists.com admin will take action to remedy the situation. Disciplinary action may include:
- Written warning
- Suspension from the community
- Removal from the community
A subscribing member who engages in behaviors which result in removal from the community will not receive a refund, in full or in part, of fees paid to that point.
The Code of Conduct applies to everyone who works for Genealogists.com, is a paid or free member of the community or is visiting and interacting with our website/community in any capacity are subject to the Code of Conduct. This includes:
- Business Affiliates
- Genealogists.com Team Members
If you believe that a participant has violated the Code of Conduct or have any other concerns, please contact the Genealogists.com team as follows:
Code of Conduct, Genealogists.com©